We are proud to welcome Daragh and IDA Ireland as a partner of FinTech Forum 2021, taking place on 18th Nov. 2021 at the Airport Club, Frankfurt Airport / digital (depending on COVID restrictions).
1. Please tell us a bit about yourself, both at work and leisure.
I am VP for financial Services with IDA Ireland, the state agency responsible for FDI into Ireland. I am based in Frankfurt, have a keen interest in fitness and travel. During lockdown I took up running. I am currently working to improve my times for 5km and 10km park runs
2. What are your focus areas, overall and within the FinTech space?
I am focused on supporting Fintech companies that are growing and scaling. Ireland has seen a strong development of its domestic and international fintech ecosystem and also a strong movement of banking and payments companies in recent months
3. Any recent deals or partnerships that you would like to share with us?
Industry disruptors are increasingly choosing Ireland for technology centres and other functions including AML, KYC risk and compliance. Recent examples include Revolut, Stripe, Mastercard & Starling Bank.
4. Which are the trends to watch out for in the next 6-18 months?
We can expect to see continued success by unicorns in fundraising, growth in regulatory focus across Europe, continued growth of crypto and blockchain as it becomes more mainstream and continued growth of BNPL (buy now pay later) as it becomes more mainstream.
5. Your advice to European founders looking to scale up and raise funds?
Talk to us. IDA Ireland has over 70 years’ experience supporting companies to scale and our sister agency Enterprise Ireland also has seed capital which it can invest into European fintech companies
6. What’s on your bookshelf/ reading list?
A mixture of spy novels and sporting novels – I am currently reading A perfect spy by John Le Carre and have just finished The Dynasty by Jeff Benedict
7. Your favorite place for a coffee and/ or a drink?
I always try to go local café’s such and some favourites include Wacker Café in Frankfurt, Joe & the Juice in Copenhagen & Café Central, Sacher Café in Vienna